The Renwick Gallery, part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, with the sandstone trim stripped away for this 1985 restoration. The building, designed by James Renwick, Jr., was built between 1859 and 1861 to house the Corcoran Gallery of Art. The Corcoran Gallery moved to its present building in 1899. The building was then occupied by the U.S. Court of Claims until 1964. On June 23, 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson approved the use of the building as a Smithsonian gallery of arts, crafts, and design. The building is located at 17th and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.