In 1958 President Eisenhower authorizes the preparation of plans for the construction of a building for a National Air Museum to be located on a site bounded by Fourth and Seventh Streets, S.W., Independence Avenue, and Jefferson Drive. A 1964 design by Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum (HOK) for "a Museum for the Space Age" was selected.. However, this initial design was later modified. In July 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed into law a bill authorizing construction of a new building for the newly-renamed National Air and Space Museum (NASM). Congressional passage of appropriations for the construction of the new museum occurred in 1971. The final design was approved in 1972 and construction began in November of 1972. The museum opened July 1, 1976.
Featured in the "Torch," September 1972
HOK were the architects selected. However, their original design was revised and this became the final design.
For the 1972 final design see Neg. SIA2017-018112 through 018119, SIA2017-018122, and 94-2479. For other designs for a proposed new National Air Museum, search Aeronautical Museums 1949, 1955, 1962, and HOK's preliminary design of 1964..
Exterior drawing of the Independence Avenue side for the new National Air and Space Museum designed by HOK.