Among the first electronic mobile robots were the experimental machines of neuroscientist W. Grey Walter. Walter studied the brain’s electrical activity at the Burden Neurological Institute (BNI) near Bristol, England. His battery-powered robots were models to test his theory that a minimum number of brain cells can control complex behavior and choice. Soon after World War II, electronic motors and computers made possible such experimental robots that imitated living intelligence. Researchers like Walter then sought to answer a question that still occupies their successors: How close can machines come to human intelligence?
In the late 1940s Walter built his first model animals—simple, slow-moving, tortoise-shaped machines he named Elmer and Elsie. In 1951, Walter enlisted BNI engineer W. J. Warren to build the robot displayed here.
The machines are designed to explore their environment and react to it with two senses—sight and touch. A rotating photoelectric cell, the machine’s “eye,” scans the horizon continuously until it detects an external light. Scanning stops and the machine either moves toward the light source or, if the source is too bright, moves away. An external contact switch, sensitive to touch, causes the machine to retreat if it encounters obstacles. The robots retreat to a recharging station when their batteries were low.
National Museum of American History
Location: Currently not on view
ID Number: 1993.0500.01
accession number: 1993.0500
catalog number: 1993.0500.01
date made: ca 1950
Measurements: overall - robot: 10 3/8 in x 6 3/4 in x 10 1/4 in; 26.3525 cm x 17.145 cm x 26.035 cm
Measurements: overall - cover: 9 1/2 in x 10 1/8 in x 13 7/8 in; 24.13 cm x 25.7175 cm x 35.2425 cm
Measurements: overall - box: 3 1/8 in x 1 in x 1 1/8 in; 7.9375 cm x 2.54 cm x 2.8575 cm
See more items in: Work and Industry: Mechanical and Civil Engineering
See more items in: Science & Mathematics
See more items in: Robots and Automatons
Credit Line: Dr. F. W. and J. Merlyn Clutterbuck
place made: United Kingdom