What is Kwanzaa?
In this activity, students will learn about the background and cultural significance of the holiday Kwanzaa through an an analysis of various resources:
- The collection begins with several images related to Kwanzaa. By looking through each of the resources, students can gain a deeper understanding of the holiday. Each image contains text about different parts of Kwanzaa and quiz questions to encourage further thoughts and reflections.
- A resource from the Kwanzaa Planning Committee is featured after these resources to further discuss practices and principles related to the holiday.
- Then, they will compare and contrast them with an image representing Christmas and another representing Hanukkah.
- The final activity has the student upload a separate image and explore how he or she would use that image to describe Kwanzaa to someone.
- The final resource includes an article from the Smithsonian Magazine that you can use to discuss the history of Kwanzaa with your class.
- The resources include multiple choice and discussion questions.
To read more information about Kwanzaa, please read the following official Kwanzaa website set up by the African American Cultural Center in Los Angeles, California: (http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org/symbols.shtm...).
Tags: holidays, history, culture, African American culture, African American history, American history, American cultureRead More »