La Purisima Mission State Historic Park Ruins to Rebuild
In 1834, secularization of the 21 Missions of California was enforced. This meant California Missions were either converted into Catholic Churches or converted to ranches, or to other uses. As a result, La Purísima Mission property and land holdings were divided into ranches.
As the years progressed, the property was bought and sold a number of times. In 1845, La Purísima Mission was sold to Juan Temple of Los Angeles for $1,000. At the close of the 19th century the property was so badly neglected the adobe buildings, and other features of the Mission eventually collapsed from weather and lack of upkeep.
In 1933, the Union Oil Company obtained ownership of La Purísima Mission for oil speculation, and the condition of the Mission was in complete ruin. It wasn't until 1934, when preservation and reconstruction of the Mission began through efforts of the County of Santa Barbara, the State of California, the National Park Service, and the Civilian Conservation Corps.
This collection shows the neglect and decay of the adobe buildings at La Purísima Mission through the lens of history.
Read More »